Sunday, February 23, 2014

On the Billy Bubble 1.0


I’ve decided to stop writing with the hope of saying insightful things in creative ways—there are plenty of people who are better at that than I am—and begin writing merely to process. I have things to say, but I am insufferably tired of reading the blogs of young twentysomethings steeped either in Christian culture or the backlash against it. I find culture and subculture fascinating, and have been lost in my mind examining which one I have found myself a part of.  I used the singular of those words because I have realized that I live in essentially a singular culture…or more accurately subculture.  And it’s keeping me awake at night.

I am sitting in the Drip peering out the old glass windows and notice road bikes, semi-new VW wagons, Jeeps, and lots of Yakima roof racks. A young couple chatters softly behind me, the lovely woman nursing an infant with a cloth draped over her shoulder. The very attractive baristas make shop talk, and the older hippies that never grew up study the local outdoor magazines, free for the taking in racks by the door. The racks are almost empty.

I love this place. It is small, local, friendly, and I nearly always see someone I know. I loved walking around Lake Tomahawk earlier, surrounded by families and an oddly high number of pure breed dogs. Both places are comforting, safe. Both places help me feel anchored here, like I am a part of a community and like I am connected to a bigger picture.  I realized today coming home from church in downtown Asheville, as I drove through the winding city streets overflowing with pedestrians and culinary delights, that I live in a town driven by tourism and the outdoor recreation industry. That combined with the number of resorts and B&Bs in a smallish radius essentially makes Asheville and Black Mountain resort towns.

Not all parts of either place are overwhelmingly affluent.  I live on the outskirts of the ghetto, or what might be a ghetto if Asheville had one. I guess what makes it nearly a ghetto is the proximity of public housing and the number of bus stops and “food stores” dotting the corners. But even the public housing is nicely maintained, and though it is small, is very “Asheville” in construction: corrugated aluminum roofs, wood siding and large trim around the windows, both painted in earth tones. Which is why I can’t say it is a ghetto…because regardless of the races represented there, it is still nicer than most public housing places where I’m from, where I went to school, or just about any city bigger than 200,000 people.  

As I wandered around the ‘Boro with Jordan over Christmas, we both commented that it seems like the amount of people begging has increased. Rarely do I see beggars in Asheville.  Happy, who sits outside of Doc Chey’s nearly every day, and has for years now, almost doesn’t count. He has a roof to go home to and a network of support through the VA and ABCCM.  I have tried to be more observant, taking note of the places where I have seen people.  I do not see the tent cities like there were under the bridges in Greenville, or the droves of falling down houses that comprise the south side of Greensboro. Nor do I see herds of women, children, and older people hanging out around the rescue mission, or ABCCM, like I did at Urban Ministry, Triune, or Labor Finders.

The landscape is different here, with the solid middle class dominating the horizon. Our nook in the neighborhood seems to me to be what my mom calls “Chapel Hill” style: older homes, some restored but most not, with mangy yards, some turned into gardens or chicken pens (or my favorite, which is a garden, hen house, and goat pasture all in one), with nicer cars like Subarus, older Audis, or Saabs occupying the dirt driveways. Mostly a mix of academics, retirees, and people with joby-jobs to pay the rent. And a few of us young guns to keep things interesting.  And yet over and over people refer to my area as “a place with colorful people”, “the ghetto”, or  “a place you wouldn’t want to walk through alone”. I have a good friend who is a cop. He routinely tells me he worries about me. 

So where are they? Where are the people I have been conditioned to be wary of? Where are the big, scary black men? Where are the Latinos? Where are the migrant families that I know do much of the physical labor here, because I hear of their stories from McKay? I don’t see them. Why don’t I see them? Because I live in a bubble. A bubble that I am realizing is not a representation of the way that the Kingdom works.

My whole life has been a bubble in some sense. I cannot help that I have white skin, was born to parents who pursued and still value education, that I was born in an area of the country and world that affords me opportunities, that I was raised in a culture that values networking and social skills and etiquette and advancement. I grew up solidly middle class, with parents who sacrificed (ahem, are still sacrificing?) to make things happen. I grew up hearing “no” more often than not. I was only allowed to shop at Kohl’s for most of my middle school years. My mom was and still is a single mom. My broken family was always on the outside of the perceived private school in-crowd, and we never belonged to a country club. We never drove an SUV until my senior year of high school when my mom’s 14 year-old car gave out, and the SUV was used. So, relatively speaking, I did not experience the standard upper crust privileges. But I went on from an entirely private-schooled growing up to a private university, noted for being highly selective, with fairly high expectations of what was the social norm. Oh yeah, and an insanely high price tag. I can never tell if the clear physical reaction people have when I tell them where I went to school is because they respect the academics or because they judge the price tag. I had scholarships, I usually qualify when I get The Look.

My longest-standing association outside of those things is with an organization that has created what we half-affectionately, half-sarcastically refer to as the Billy Bubble.  Squeaky clean in reputation, neat in appearance, no dirt available for the public eye, socially acceptable and well-respected, a sort of International Standards Committee for the world of Protestant ministry. I am tired of the bubble. The bubble is isolating and keeps me longing to know what it is like to live among and not above the rest of the world.

I believe that camp is good, that it has a place in the work God is doing, that it can be life-altering. I believe it is an effective way to communicate the love of Christ to kids. But I don’t believe that camp is for the squeaky clean, the socially acceptable, the well respected. I believe that when Jesus said, “Let the little children come unto me”, he meant all of them, not simply the ones that were presentable. In fact, looking at Jesus’ track record, he was probably gathering into his arms the messy child that reeked and was hopelessly incapable of passing the test of social acceptability.

I am increasingly struck by the words of Scripture, found in the prophet Isaiah’s book:

“Is this not the fast I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh? Then shall your light break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up speedily’ your righteousness shall go before you, and the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard. Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; you shall cry, and he will say, ‘Here I am’. If you take away the yoke from your midst, the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness, and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness, and your gloom be as the noonday. And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations; you shall be called the repairer of the breach, the restorer of streets to dwell in.” 58:6-12

This passage is full of actual physical acts, of instructions for physical freedom, as well as spiritual. At the time of Isaiah’s prophecy, the kingdoms of Israel and Judah were physically suffering. God’s divided people were stuck in cycles of physical and spiritual sin, were physically oppressed, or would be at some not-far-off point. Isaiah was not suggesting the care of the oppressed, he commanded it.

I read the words of the prophets and the word of Jesus when he says things like, “the Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor”, quoting the prophet Isaiah in Luke 4. He did indeed come to bring a kingdom not of this world, but while he was walking through the world he healed blind men, associated with the poor, and freed captives (remember the slave girl, the demon possessed man?).  The whole fully God, fully man thing didn’t allow him to overlook his fellow friends with skin on.  I look at that precedent, that standard, and I look at my life. I look at who and what I associate myself with. I look at what I do in the bigger picture of the Kingdom, and I wonder if we’ve missed something up there in the Billy Bubble. 

Jesus loved rich people too, people with connections and status and influence.
 Mary, Martha, and Lazarus were wealthy. Joseph who buried him was wealthy and probably well respected. But the ones he called to follow him, that he hand-selected, that were in his most intimate circle (from what we know of Scripture, at least) were not chosen because they were squeaky clean in reputation, neat in appearance, they probably had some dirt available for the public eye, weren’t necessarily socially acceptable or well-respected.  They were most likely the opposite of those things, fishermen and troublemakers, artisans and tax collectors. I think it is a mistake when our ministries skip over these details.

                                                                        --------------

No comments:

Post a Comment